Friday, March 20, 2015

Grand Canyon Adventure


So, I am in Mather Campground inside the Grand Canyon National Park.  It is Thursday when I am writing this, so forgive me but I am not sure when this will go up.  Wow, I have done a lot in the two days since I started this trip.  Went to Vegas and went to Bachi Burger.  It was an interesting place.  It was a little heavy on the asian flavors, but all in all the place will get my thumbs up.  Stayed at the Hilton on the Strip and boy was it nice.  I would have liked to stay much longer for they gave me a suite.  Good gods, it was wonderful.


On the 18th I went to the Skywalk at the Grand Canyon West.  I was expecting to pay something, but it was $75!  I paid for it anyway and got my first good look at the Canyon.  Breathtaking.  The Skywalk is owned and run by Hualapai natives.  Now I didn’t take pictures on the Skywalk.  You werent allowed to take any cameras due to some problems.  That kinda sucked.  But I walked the inside of the ring (gripping the handrail), walked the outside ring (again gripping the rail) and tried to walk down the middle of the glass.  Got a third of the way before I went to the inside.  I could feel it sway.  It was worse than the Skytree or Tokyo Tower, because it was open to the outside.





Skywalk is in the upper left corner.


I got to Grand Canyon East later that evening.  Tusayan is a nice little town, except for the internet is totally unreliable.  It says I have four bars and full connection but I didn’t.  I stayed the night in the hotel (too expensive) because it was too late.  I asked the front desk person where to get something to eat and she suggested a steakhouse or mexican.  I chose the steakhouse.  I have been seriously steak deprived for seven months.  I hope she gets a kickback or something because I wont be eating there again.  I had the combo steak and ribs.  I don’t think they put salt on the steak, the ribs were too dry and the baked beans were watery tasting from a can.  Sad, sad steak experience.

The next day was today, Thursday.  I got into the campground and got it for two days.  Today I went to east exit of the park and I stopped at nearly all the overlooks.  Today was better for the sun was out and shining.  Yesterday as I left the Skywalk it rained… hard.  Today it was nice and bright and you can see all of the pictures I have taken on the east side of the camp to the Desert View about 25 miles away.














Today, the 20th of March, I am going to go to the west side of the camp.  I would like to come back here and hike the over 200 miles of trails.  So I am going to put this up right now, and to the rest of today, tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment