Friday, January 3, 2014

Fear

Part of me is very frightened of going to Japan, especially because I am going alone.  Ever since +Rynyn had stated that she will have to pass for a couple of years, but even then that is only for a vacation.  Now that I have thought about it, my confidence is a bit shaken.  

Sigh.  

Let it wash over me.  

I am still going, that much I am sure.  Getting a job, a place to live, what to pack, the language barrier, all the prepwork I can do and am doing is for naught when faced with these things.  Nothing can prepare you for the inevitable changes that I will be facing.  I do not have any friends over in Japan except for jvolggers.  Of all the jvolggers I know, +Jim Mullins is the only one that I have corresponded with.  I will have to add talking to many of the jvolg community that I know from YouTube, like +ozzy78+Kurt Bell+Eric Berg+Myargonauts Jason and many others to get their input and advice and help.

That doesn't mean that I do not have friends here.  As I have stated in a previous post, I have friends who are quite familiar with Japan.  On January 1st, I attended an osechi that my friend +Jay Estrada and his beautiful wife held.  His wife is Japanese and she had spread out for us six or seven bentos filled with Japanese delicacies.  Except for the miso marinated salmon (which was delicious!) and quail eggs, it was all vegetarian.  It was similar to what my mother used to make, well pieces of it and Chinese.  Jay said that he wasn't sure that I ever attended an osechi (I haven't) and he stated that because I am going to Japan, that I should have a little taste of what it is like.  Jay had a good selection of sake, shochu and yume.  I had a wonderful time and talked to Jay about travelling to Japan.  Still there is more to do.  So much more to prepare and ask.

Though all of this, I am still afraid of travelling by myself.  It is always so hard going to a place that you have never went to before and starting over.  I am taking a big risk and I would hate to have to come back to the states without really trying.  Of course I could go there is just to travel but that would defeat the point of going to start a new life.  So many people to talk to and so much to do...




No comments:

Post a Comment